Monday 4 August 2008

Emirates Cup Round Up

Thanks to astro, the premier (the only one in fact) satellite TV provider in Malaysia, I was able to watch Arsenal matches in the Emirates Cup Tournament which was won by another Emirates sponsored team, Hamburg SV.

It has been typically frustrating at times watching Arsenal when they are unable to finish the many chances created during a match, and this weekend is no exception. Against Juventus they could and should have at least achieved parity and they should have scored more against Real Madrid.

Of course result wise, these are not really important anyway but the way we keep on wasting chances perhaps is a matter of grave concern.

In Samir Nasri I believe we have a very exciting player that could contribute to our goals for tally a-la Robert Pires. I did not recall any shooting chances for the French international during the tournament, but of course against quality opponents such as Juventus and Real Madrid chances are bound to be at premium.

I am not really sure about Abou Diaby though. His tendency to be robbed off the ball has not yet been rectified though the performance of Denilson left me a bit warm inside with the hope that he could be the player to partner Cesc Fabregas in the middle.

Despite him trying very hard I just could not watch Manu Adebayor without some sort of negative feelings burning up inside me. He can say anything that he wants but it is very hard to just think of all the stories surfacing during the summer were mere miscommunications or the work of someone who has some bad intentions to the Togolese.

Just seeing him typically missing his chances during the matches against Juventus and Real Madrid really made me having some bad intentions towards him.

Anyway, other Arsenal players that took the pitch on Saturday and Sunday really made feel good and strengthened my belief that our position is not really that bad personnel wise. Aaron Ramsey, Carlos Vela and Jack Wilshere really impressed me and I would not be surprised if they would appear more frequently rather than just the odd cup matches.

Tonight was a good night for me, winning a bowling competition organised by our local football team Terengganu which just qualified for the last eight of the Malaysia Cup. Supporting Arsenal is one thing but this is where I get my 'live' football fix. Maybe more about this later.

...

No comments: